Mental Hygiene Administration
The Mental Hygiene Administration (MHA) may be a resource for persons with serious and persistent mental illness and/or substance abuse problems. For general information, please call 1-800-446-7348 or click here to visit the Mental Hygiene Adminstration website.
National Association of Mental Illness in Maryland
Contact NAMI MD (National Association of Mental Illness in Maryland) an information and referral advocacy organization for family and friends of people with serious mental illness and people who have a mental illness at 1-800-467-0075. For more information click here to visit the NAMI MD website.
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Administration
The Alcohol and Drug Abuse Administration (ADAA) under DHMH provides a resource information directory for finding substance abuse services locally. County Coordinators assist people in identifying alcohol and drug abuse prevention, intervention, and treatment services. For more information contact them at 1-877-463-3464, TTY 1-800-735-2258 or click here to search the ADAA resource directory.
Maryland Public Mental Health System
Maryland Public Mental Health System (PMHS) Toll-Free Help Line at 1-800-888-1965 for 24-hour information on programs, benefits and services including emergency help.
Get Help Quick
When you or someone you know think you have a mental health problem, getting help may be urgent. You can get help quickly in these ways:
- Call the 211 Information Line for a 24-hour, seven days per week line that will connect MD residents with human services information and referrals.
- Call or walk into any Public Mental Health System - Core Services Agency for a full range of treatment and rehabilitation services for persons with serious mental illness. Click here to locate your public mental health system core service agency.
- Find several 24/7 Maryland suicide and crisis hotlines to call and talk to someone and find treatment information in your area at 1-800-784-2433 or 1-800-273-8255. Click here to view a listing of suicide and crisis hotlines in Maryland.
- Contact your Managed Care Organization (MCO) or Primary Care Physician who may refer you for mental health services.
- On Our Own of Maryland is a statewide consumer run organization which provides information about mental health and other support services. For information, please call 1-800-704-0262 or click here to visit the On Our Own of MD website.
- The ProBono Counseling Project links people with mental health needs to local resources that are pro bono to assist all Marylanders who need treatment. For more information contact 410-323-5800 or click here to visit the ProBono Counseling Project website.
Got questions or need more information?
Contact a Constituent Service Specialist at the Maryland Department of Disabilities:
Mental Health Services Specialist: Ellis Goodman
Back To Top